This class meets on Saturday afternoons at 2:30 and on Wednesday nights at 6:00pm. You may attend one or both at your discretion.
This is an ONGOING class so you can start at ANY time. In this curriculum students will also experience interviews, cold readings, on-camera auditions for various genres, and call-backs through filmed mock auditions. With directorial adjustment, students gain a specific and effective approach to auditioning for television and film. Actors will learn the varied demands of working in different size shots. Students work on spontaneity, active listening, making and committing to choices, and reliably triggering real emotions.
This curriculum is designed to teach you how to prepare independently so that you show up on the set as a collaborator and not as a blank page for the director to write on. The class teaches advanced script analysis based in action and in doing, preparation techniques, relaxation techniques, on-set performance skills, imagination work, and concentration/focus work. Once acting foundations are developed, students will then apply these skills to more complicated material. Students focus on more advanced character development, script analysis and active listening skills throughout the course. As the course progresses, the scripts become more sophisticated, as does the actor’s ability to recognize clues to characterization and style.
- Approach: How Theatre, Sitcoms, Commercials, Soaps, & Film differ for actors?
- Understanding “The Business”: Unions, Resumes & Industry Publications, Contracts, Agents & Managers
- Improvisation: Objectives and Obstacles, Making Active Choices
- Text Analysis 1: Breaking down a script, clues to look for
- Text Analysis 2: Reading for information, What makes it a comedy or drama, Hidden clues in text
- Text Analysis 3 — Line learning, Making choices, Timing, laughs, emotions, moment before
- Text 4: In-depth text analysis
- Improvisation: Various
- Exercises: To strengthen Imagination, concentration, and focus.
- On-Camera Acting Techniques: Advanced techniques, how to stand, move
- Working On-Set: What to do & What not to do when you walk on the set, What’s expected- speed, vocabulary, crew
- Understanding Editing: Impact on the actor, Continuity, Eye-line
- Rehearsal/Camera Blocking: Taking Direction, dealing with last minute revisions
- Audition Technique – Tips for Getting the Call Back: What works, What doesn’t & Why
- Obstacles – The Key to Great Acting: Making Good Acting Great
- Mock Auditions
- Active Listening — The Key to being spontaneous and connected.
- Technique: From Method to Meisner…and beyond.
Our Audit policy is relatively simple – We don’t allow audits. Period. The reason we don’t allow audits is because when people are watching class – even just one person – the feeling in class changes. It changes from a place where actors feel safe to try things they are not good at (yet), into a place where they are ‘performing’ and being watched. This is not what (our) classes are for. Class is the place you go to fail. It’s the place you go to work on things you’re not yet good at; in order to expand your comfort zone. And everyone else in class is trying things, experimenting, and risking humiliation too. That is why we NEVER allow people to come and watch class. We hope you understand. So… Since we do demand a 2-month commitment for all new students, here’s what we do instead…
Money Back Guarantee:
Because we don’t allow audits (but we do demand a two-month commitment from new students!), here’s how we make it fair for you. We offer you a complete, 100% money-back guarantee. Here’s how it works. You sign-up, you pay, you take your first class. If you like it, GREAT! You’re all set. If you don’t like it, you simply go up to the teacher AT THE END OF THAT FIRST CLASS (or sooner if you can’t stand it THAT much!) and you tell them that the class isn’t for you. You’ll get all your money back. No stress, no guilt, no problem.
Now there is one “catch”. (There’s ALWAYS a catch to money-back guarantees!)
The catch is simply this: If you ask for your money back, you cannot come back. Now that’s not meant to be punitive. It simply means you should be ready to start class and continue IF you do like it. If you don’t like it, as we said, you shouldn’t have to pay a penny, and you don’t. You get all your money back. No worries.
Missed Class Policy:
If you let us know you’re going to be missing class via email – at the time you are signing-up for class, we will credit you for those class(es). Any other absences will NOT be credited. Obviously if WE cancel a class you will be credited for that.
- Actor - Honolulu, HI
He is methodical in his approach to critiquing and helping others learn. His honesty, no nonsense approach and pure logic are his most valuable assets... The fact that he has helped so many individuals move forward in their careers and perfect craft is a testament to his abilities.
- Actor - 50 First Dates, etc."Attending Scott’s classes has given me the focus and confidence required to compete in this very ambitious industry."
- Former V.P. of Talent for Paramount Studios
Scott Rogers has an uncanny ability to recognize an actors strengths and help them make the most of those strengths in their career.
- Writer/Director/Producer, of: "Baywatch" - "Cagney & Lacey" - "Melrose Place" - "Hill Street Blues" - "General Hospital", and approx. 20 more TV series.
I have worked with many coaches and teachers over the years, both on and off the set, and I have never found anyone with more talent, compassion and insight into character and script than Scott Rogers. Scott has an uncanny ability to cut to the root of an actor's immediate concern and bolstering their abilities, help them find solutions and wonderful original performances. He has my highest recommendation.
- Producer of: "X-Files" - "Criminal Minds" - "Army Wives" - and approx. 10 more TV Series
Scott Rogers was my full time, on set acting coach for the entire season of 20th Century Fox Televisions' weekly series "North Shore". Scott coached our principle actors, guest stars and day players. His unique ability to communicate with actors to illicit an honest performance was immediately noticeable... I would not hesitate to hire Scott again and would highly recommend him to any production whether they plan to use a coach or not.
- Actress - Beverly Hills
“Scott Rogers is quite simply the best director on the planet… Period."
**NEW! Long-Term Student Discount Subscription
(Only available to students who have already trained with SRS for 6 months or more.)
In the interest of keeping committed actors in class, I am offering the following…
Students who have trained with SRS for at least 6 (not necessarily consecutive) months or more and who are willing to commit to taking class for the next 6 (six) consecutive months or more, may “SUBSCRIBE” and pay a rate of only $150 per month. That’s a savings of $75 PER MONTH Or $450 over the six months!! But you must commit to 6 (six) CONSECUTIVE months.
* By “Subscribing” you will be allowing Paypal to auto-debit your Paypal account every month, for 6 months (yes, you must create a Paypal acct. but you can link a credit card to your account so that it debits your card each month). After the initial 6-months, you simply cancel your subscription or continue at this rate for as long as you like. SRS GUARANTEES THIS RATE FOR AS LONG AS YOU STAY CONTINUOUSLY SUBSCRIBED!
You can cancel at any time BUT, if you cancel BEFORE the initial 6-month period (which you are promising not to do, thereby getting this special rate), without repaying the saved $75 per month, you will not be eligible to take class with SRS again.
If you cancel AFTER the 6-month period, you will be eligible for a special subscription rate again in the future, however it may be a higher rate than this one. But as stated above, as long as you stay subscribed continuously, we guarantee this rate will remain the rate you pay, for as long as this class is offered. Any time you cancel, it is my prerogative to raise this “Subscription Rate”. Any questions please call or write Scott.