This class meets on Saturday afternoons at 2:30 and on Wednesday nights at 6:00pm. You may attend one or both at your discretion.
The class explores acting techniques that help an actor adapt to, and exploit, the unique technical demands of working on camera(s). This class uses scene-study, with a variety of texts to focus on creating real, in-depth emotions on-demand while keeping it conversational and spontaneous for every take.
For RETURNING students ONLY
1 Month, 2x per Week
$210 + HI sales tax
For NEW & RETURNING students
2 Months, 2x per Week
$400 + HI sales tax
In this curriculum students will also experience interviews, cold readings, on-camera auditions for various genres, and call-backs through filmed mock auditions. With directorial adjustment, students gain a specific and effective approach to auditioning for television and film. Actors will learn the varied demands of working in different size shots. Students work on spontaneity, active listening, making and committing to choices, and reliably triggering real emotions.
This curriculum is designed to teach you how to prepare independently so that you show up on the set as a collaborator and not as a blank page for the director to write on. The class teaches advanced script analysis based in action and in doing, preparation techniques, relaxation techniques, on-set performance skills, imagination work, and concentration/focus work. Once acting foundations are developed, students will then apply these skills to more complicated material. Students focus on more advanced character development, script analysis and active listening skills throughout the course. As the course progresses, the scripts become more sophisticated, as does the actor's ability to recognize clues to characterization and style.
- Approach: How Theatre, Sitcoms, Commercials, Soaps, & Film differ for actors?
- Understanding "The Business": Unions, Resumes & Industry Publications, Contracts, Agents & Managers
- Improvisation: Objectives and Obstacles, Making Active Choices
- Text Analysis 1: Breaking down a script, clues to look for
- Text Analysis 2: Reading for information, What makes it a comedy or drama, Hidden clues in text
- Text Analysis 3 — Line learning, Making choices, Timing, laughs, emotions, moment before
- Text 4: In-depth text analysis
- Improvisation: Various
- Exercises: To strengthen Imagination, concentration, and focus.
- On-Camera Acting Techniques: Advanced techniques, how to stand, move
- Working On-Set: What to do & What not to do when you walk on the set, What’s expected- speed, vocabulary, crew
- Understanding Editing: Impact on the actor, Continuity, Eye-line
- Rehearsal/Camera Blocking: Taking Direction, dealing with last minute revisions
- Audition Technique - Tips for Getting the Call Back: What works, What doesn’t & Why
- Obstacles - The Key to Great Acting: Making Good Acting Great
- Mock Auditions
- Active Listening — The Key to being spontaneous and connected.
- Technique: From Method to Meisner...and beyond.
Our Audit policy is relatively simple - We don't allow audits. Period. The reason we don't allow audits is because when people are watching class - even just one person - the feeling in class changes. It changes from a place where actors feel safe to try things they are not good at (yet), into a place where they are 'performing' and being watched. This is not what (our) classes are for. Class is the place you go to fail. It's the place you go to work on things your not yet good at; to expand your comfort zone. And everyone else in class is trying things, experimenting, and risking humiliation too. That is why we NEVER allow people to come and watch class. We hope you understand.
Money Back Guarantee:
Now because we don't allow audits (but we do demand a two-month commitment from new students!), here's how we make it fair. We offer you a complete, 100% money-back guarantee. Here's how it works. You sign-up, you pay, you take your first class. If you like it, GREAT! You're all set. If you don't like it, you simply go up to the teacher AT THE END OF THAT FIRST CLASS (or sooner if you can't stand it THAT much!) and you tell them that the class isn't for you. You'll get all your money back. No stress, no guilt, no problem.
Now there is one "catch". (There's ALWAYS a catch to money-back guarantees!)
The catch is simply this: If you ask for your money back, you cannot come back. Now that's not meant to be punitive. It simply means you should be ready to start class and continue IF you do like it. If you don't like it, as we said, you shouldn't have to pay a penny, and you don't. You get all your money back. No worries.
Missed Class Policy:
If you let us know your going to be missing class via email - at the time you are signing-up for class, we will credit you for those class(es). Any other absences will NOT be credited. Obviously if WE cancel a class you will be credited for that.